Implementing mobile applications is impossible without tools to help you manage the software and configuration of your handheld devices. As mobile solutions scale up in size, it is essential to have a system in place that can help you manage all the devices being used without dedicating a lot of administration resources.
DataSplice Provisioning provides a way to install and configure handheld devices over any network connection. This service is particularly suited for:
- Initial Device Configuration
- You need an easy way to install software on your handheld devices and handle configuration settings. There is no reason to manually configure the exact same settings on handheld after handheld - Windmill helps push standard configurations and software out to new devices.
- Managing Software Updates
- It is difficult to ensure that software gets updated in the field, especially if your devices are spread over a large geographical area. Windmill can automatically notify users that updates are available and perform the upgrades without involving an administrator.
- Repairing Devices in the Field
- Handheld devices have the tendency to break down; their batteries die, users accidentally break configuration settings. Windmill can automatically detect and repair problems on devices. If a storage card is available, it can even be used to completely restore a handheld after a hard reset
Our provisioning solutions can be set up to manage the following on handheld devices (and desktop computers):
- Installing and updating the DataSplice Remote Client
- Installing other applications
- Managing registry settings
- Creating shortcuts and cleaning up the program menus
Our solutions can use any network connection to operate, including wireless and ethernet, as well as ActiveSync. The latter is especially useful for initial configuration of wireless network settings.