More Insight into Assets Gives This Utility Company More Energy
One of the largest energy companies in the United States manages a significant amount of its asset data using IBM Maximo®. And, like many companies, this utility company strives to get the most out of their assets for the least amount of money. However, after utilizing Maximo for almost a decade, they needed a tool that would provide additional insight into their assets, particularly the data necessary to make informed decisions regarding their asset life cycles.
The company required a highly configurable, mobile system for Maximo. The system also needed to meet the following requirements:
- Be rapid to implement throughout the enterprise.
- Capture key asset details and work performed, so that the company could easily improve compliance and meet regulatory requirements.
- Enable field personnel to complete tasks correctly, with accurate data collection, so that asset and financial managers can make key decisions to improve reliability while reducing costs.
- Be a mobile system that could be utilized on numerous device types as well as on desktops, so that field personnel, EAM administrators, and managers could use it wherever they do their job.
The company employed an adaptive mobile solution in 2007: DataSplice Field Inspections. After an implementation period of less than six months, this utility realized several benefits.
Compliance improved. The company imported and converted their existing inspection job plans into the DataSplice Field Inspections solution. Technicians completed inspections for compliance items such as Battery Inspections, Fire Extinguishers, Emergency Lighting, Stray Voltage Inspections, and Smoke Alarms faster and more accurately.
As the utilization of the initial system increased, the utility added more capabilities to the system. These included:
- Gas Calls: When a (SF6) Gas Call is created, DataSplice Field Inspections tracks the location, equipment, SF6 cylinders and the amount of gas added.
- Pump House Readings: DataSplice Field Inspections enables the user to enter pump house tank level readings and compare them to prior readings. Managers can compare the readings to ensure there are no oil losses or leaks.
- Drum Logs: DataSplice Field Inspections enables the users to enter the type of waste (Hazardous or Non-Hazardous) and the amount of waste, then it generates a tracking number that a technician affixes to the container. Now managers know the when, where and how of waste removal.
Loved by Customers
“ Datasplice has been one of our foundational asset management tools for nearly a decade.”.
Field personnel are enabled to do their jobs. The application works on several mobile devices, including iOS, Android, Microsoft® Windows and Windows Mobile. Technicians can use any device regardless if they are connected to the network. DataSplice Field Inspections help field personnel do their job with high accuracy because it guides them through a series of applicable questions, as if navigating a flow chart. This capability facilitates accurate data collection and saves field personnel time. Inspectors do not have to guess what needs to be done next or remember all the compliance rules. Inspectors no longer transcribe detailed field notes to a separate application. With this approach, they never see an irrelevant question. DataSplice Field Inspections integrates with Maximo through Maximo Business Objects.
EAM administrators and managers are better equipped to make timely, effective decisions to reduce costs and outages. The data they collect today, using this application, is more reliable than data collected previously. In the past, paper and filing cabinets stored asset history. With no comprehensive view of their assets, managers could not make well-timed decisions concerning their assets or be assured that regulatory requirements were being met.
Information is key for this organization. This dynamic and adaptive solution supports their evolving asset management and keeps them competitive as one of the world’s largest energy delivery systems.
Today, this company captures the details of an asset’s health electronically with the data seamlessly captured in Maximo. They now have important, complete documentation of compliance items, details of work performed in the field and improved accuracy of their asset records. Their field personnel are enabled to gather data with greater accuracy, and the highly reliable data supports decision-making at all levels of the enterprise. The data also allows for better trending and prediction of asset behavior, which in turn reduces unplanned outages and emergency maintenance. This utility company realized numerous additional benefits using DataSplice’s Field Inspections and has more plans to meet their customers’ needs and to improve the excellence of their asset management program.
- Use case type: Inspections
- Departments: Substation Operations, Transmission Line Maintenance, Steam Generation, and Construction
- Systems integrated: Maximo, Esri GIS, and Custom Databases
- Mobile software configuration type: Inspections
- Device hardware deployed: Motion Computing Windows Tablets, Motorola Handhelds, Windows Laptops
- Implementation team: DataSplice Professional Services
- Deployment type: On-premise